Under the direction of the Fairhaven Historical Commission, Fort Phoenix got a facelift at its main entrance leading to the Fort this month.
Large granite pillars at the parking lot entrance now hold up a beautiful new sign crafted from metal that bear the name “Fort Phoenix” with crossed cannons on each side.
The Revolutionary Fort is a beloved spot for many Fairhaven residents and a beautiful view of Buzzards Bay for tourists visiting our town. The Historical Commission funded the project and commissioned Costa Metal Fabrication of East Freetown, MA to make the sign.
“It was time for Fort Phoenix to get some needed renovations and enhancements,” said Wayne Oliveira, Chairman of the Historical Commission.
Last season we had work done around the cannons to take care of some soil erosion around the stone parapet that surrounds the cannons. The lawn was regraded and reseeded as well as some masonry repairs.
In addition to the sign at the entrance we added a large anchor in recognition of Fairhaven’s nautical history. The iron anchor is Circa 1850 and came from a merchant ship.
A cast plaque was installed at the entrance to proclaim Fort Phoenix’s listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
We hope that the public will enjoy these renovations and use the entrance as a great, new photo opportunity to record their visit to the spot.
Support local journalism, donate to the Neighb News with PayPal.
Click here to download the entire 9/24/20 issue: 09-24-20 HuttlestonMP