By Beth David, Editor
As of press time, five candidates had taken out nomination papers to run for three Fairhaven Selectboard seats in the 4/4/22 election. Only two have returned those papers with the required signatures to be on the ballot. This election will have three seats on the ballot, as it is the election that will expand the board from three to five members.
We also have a contested race for Board of Health, with two people taking out papers for one seat.
So far Leon Correy, Cameron Durant, Cathy Melanson, Charles Murphy Sr., and incumbent Stasia Powers have taken out papers for Select Board. Mr. Correy and Mr. Murphy have returned them.
Incumbent Peter DeTerra has taken out papers and returned them with the required signatures for this seat on the Board of Health. Heidi Hacking has also taken out papers for that seat.
School Committee incumbents Kyle Bueno and Erik Andersen have both taken out papers for their seats, and both have returned them. Cathleen Marchessault has also taken out papers to run for one of the two seats, but had not returned them as of press time.
Incumbent Barbara Acksen has taken out papers for her seat as a Commissioner of Trust Funds; Louise Ponte has taken out papers for the seat she holds on the Commission, which is an unexpired term she was appointed to recently. Neither one has returned papers.
On the Board of Public Works, only the unexpired term held by Steven Riley is up for election. He indicated to the Select Board when he was appointed that it was unlikely he would run for the seat in 2022. Ronnie Medina has taken out papers for that seat.
Acting town clerk Linda Fredette has taken out papers for her seat; and Gary F. Souza has taken out papers for Housing Authority.
Nomination papers for all offices in Fairhaven in the 4/4/22 election are now available. Next year, three seats will be on the ballot for the Select Board. The seat now held by Stasia Powers will be up for re-election as scheduled, and two new seats will also be on the ballot. The person with the most votes will serve three years, the second place person will serve two years, the third place person will serve one year before needing to run again. After this year, all seats will be three year terms. Town Meeting voted in 2021 to increase the number of seats on the SB to five, from three, and the Mass. state legislature voted to enact the change.
The Annual Town Election will be held on Monday, April 4, 2022. Polls will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Deadline to register to vote is 3/15/22.
You may register to vote any day from 8:30 a.m.–4:30p.m. Monday– Friday. Mail-in Voter Registration Forms are available at the Town Clerk’s Office, the Millicent Library and State and Federal offices.
• Friday, January 24, 2022, 5 p.m.: Last day and hour for Town Meeting Member incumbents to file written request for re-election with the Town Clerk
• Thursday, February 10, 2022, 5 p.m.: Last day and hour for requesting nomination papers
• Monday, February 14, 2022, 5 p.m.: Last day and hour for filing all nomination papers with the Registrar of Voters (Town Clerk’s Office)
• Wednesday, March 2, 2022, 5 p.m.: Last day and hour to withdraw nomination papers
• Tuesday, March 15, 2022, 8 p.m.: Last day to register voters for the Town Election. The Town Clerk’s Office will be open from 8:30 a.m.– 8 p.m. this day
• Monday, March 28, 2022 Warrant must be posted
Where do I vote?
The Town of Fairhaven Precinct Boundary Map can be found at (https://www.fairhaven-ma.gov/ sites/g/files/vyhlif3131/f/uploads/ fairhaven2010.pdf). This map will be updated with the 2020 Census Re-precincting information as soon as we receive the final approved information from the State.
• Precinct one: Town Hall, 40 Center Street
• Precincts two and three: Elizabeth Hastings Middle School, 30 School Street
• Precinct four: Fire Station Meeting Room, 146 Washington Street
• Precincts five and six, Recreation Center, 227 Huttleston Avenue
2022 Town Election Seats
• Town Clerk, 3 Years, One seat, Linda Fredette, incumbent
• Select Board: 3 Years, One seat, Stasia A. Powers incumbent
2 Years, One, Vacant (New)
1 Year, One, Vacant (New)
• School Committee 3 Years, Two seats, Kyle Bueno and Erik Andersen incumbents
• Board of Health, 3 Years, One seat, Peter Deterra incumbent
• Commissioner of Trust Funds, 3 Years, One seat, Barbara Acksen incumbent
1 Year (unexpired term), One seat, Vacant
• Board of Public Works, 3 Years, One, G. Steven Riley incumbent
• Planning Board, 4 Years, Two, Geoffrey Haworth II and John Farrell incumbents
• Housing Authority, 5 Years, One seat, Marc Scanlon incumbent
How to run
Nomination papers are available now at the Town Clerk’s Office located inside Town Hall at 40 Center Street, Fairhaven. Nomination papers for town-wide office election require 50 certified signatures. Completed nomination papers with signatures must be submitted to the Town Clerk’s office no later than Monday, February 14, 2022 at 5:00PM.
How do I get on the ballot as a Town Meeting Member?
Nomination papers are available as now at the Town Clerk’s Office located inside Town Hall at 40 Center Street, Fairhaven. Nomination papers for Town Meeting require 10 certified signatures from your precinct only. Town Meeting Members who seek re-election should file a written request with the Town Clerk no later than Friday, January 24, 2022 at 5PM.
Completed nomination papers with signatures must be submitted to the Town Clerk’s office no later than Monday, February 14, 2022 at 5:00PM.
For information on registering to vote, visit https://www.fairhaven-ma.gov/town-clerk/pages/voter-resources or call the Town Clerk at (508) 979-4023 ext. 3
For more information on Fairhaven’s local election, visit https://www.fairhaven-ma.gov/town-clerk/pages/election-resources or call the Town Clerk at 508-979-4023 ext. 3
Click here to download the entire 1/20/22 issue: 01-20-22 FrozenMarsh
Click here to download the 4/28/21 Comment letter, 04-28-21 Comment Letter BOEM and here to download the 8/13/21 Response: 08-13-21 NBPA BOEM ResponseLtr
Support local journalism, donate to the Neighb News with PayPal